- 1 head of organic romaine lettuce
- 4 stalks of organic celery
- 1 organic red apple
- 1 organic pear
- 1 cup of organic blueberries or banana
- 2 cups of organic spinach
- 1 cup organic kale
- 1/2 lemon
Prior to my daily green smoothie I would have either an omlet or yoghurt every single morning. Doesn’t seem too bad right? After all, the standard mantra is that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that protein, protein, protein is the name of the game. However, that is totally wrong. Instead you need to be giving your body a break in the morning, while digestion is still happening. The ideal breakfast is something light and easily digestible not something as taxing on your system as animal protein, or even worse, dairy.
Within just a few days of consuming the morning green smoothie for breakfast, you’ll notice more luscious skin and hair, more energy and a whole new zest for life.
- Chop up lettuce into 1 inch chunks. Cut celery strips into 3 inch chunks. Make sure it’s all freshly washed and rinsed. Add both ingredients, lettuce first, to your Vitamix Blender. Blend at speed level 5 and increase if needed until contents become liquid.
- Cut apple and pear into slices (removing the core). Add slices one by one, until fully blended.
- Next add your cup of blueberries. Note: if blueberries are not available or out of season then add 1 small banana. Blend at speed level 6 or 7 until smooth.
- Start adding spinach little by little. At this point the smoothie will start to become more vibrantly green.
- Then add your kale, making sure to blend until completely smooth. Kale has a tendency to make things chunky however if blended properly this won’t be an issue.
- Once everything is fully blended and smooth looking, slow down the speed and add the juice of 1/2 lemon (freshly squeezed).
- Blend a little longer to stir in lemon, which brightens flavors. Then chill and serve.
This should yield 2-4 servings, depending on how much you drink at once. I tend to consume half or about 25 oz at breakfast and save the rest for the next morning or snack later in the day. Amazingly this green smoothie is extremely filling and tasty. And no, it does not taste like grass. Pretty soon people will be asking if you can make them their breakfast too. Tip: if needed these can be frozen for a few days and otherwise last refrigerated for at least 2 days.